Birth of Planet Earth
Narrated by Richard Dormer.
Birth of Planet Earth tells the twisted tale of our planet’s origins.
Scientists now believe that our galaxy is filled with solar systems, including up to a billion planets roughly the size of our own. The film employs advanced, data-driven, cinematic-quality visualizations to explore some of the greatest questions in science today: How did Earth become a living planet in the wake of our solar system’s violent birth? What does its history tell us about our chances of finding other worlds that are truly Earth-like?
Produced by Spitz Creative Media, NCSA’s Advanced Visualization Lab, Thomas Lucas Productions, Inc., in association with Tellus Science Museum. This project has been made possible with support from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the Greater Philadelphia Film Office; funded in part by the National Science Foundation.
· Audience Award, Minsk International Fulldome Festival, Minsk Planetarium, Minsk, Belarus 2021
· Official Selection, Kaluga Fulldome Festival, Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky State Museum of the History of Cosmonautics, Kaluga, Russia 2021
· Official Selection, 5th Fulldome Film Festival Korea, Gwacheon National Science Museum, South Korea 2020
· Official Selection, Dome Under Festival, Melbourne, Australia, 2020
· Best Scientific Visualization and Data Analytics Showcase for Photosynthesis in a Chromatophore, Excerpt from “Birth of Planet Earth”, at IEEE Supercomputing in Denver, CO, 2019
· Electronic Theater, Official Selection: Photosynthesis in a Chromatophore, Excerpt from “Birth of Planet Earth”, SIGGRAPH Asia, Brisbane, Australia, 2019
· Computer Animation Festival, Official Selection: Formation of the Moon, Excerpt from “Birth of Planet Earth”, SIGGRAPH Asia, Brisbane, Australia, 2019
· Best Soundtrack Award, Immersive Film Festival, Espinho, Portugal, 2019
· Honorable Mention, “For the value of the work as a whole… which involves detailed scientific visualizations associated with an enormous artistic beauty”, Immersive Film Festival, Espinho, Portugal, 2019
· Best Educational Dome Film, DTLA Film Festival, Los Angeles, CA, 2019
· Official Selection, Immersive Film Festival, Espinho, Portugal, 2019
· Official Selection, Astra Film Festival, Romania, 2019
· Director’s Award, Fulldome Festival Brno 2019
· Electronic Theater, Official Selection: Photosynthesis in a Chromatophore, Excerpt from “Birth of Planet Earth”, SIGGRAPH 2019
· Best Astronomical Visualizations, Reflections of the Universe Fulldome Festival, Yaroslavl 2019
· Official Selection, Macon Film Festival 2019
Official Show Announcements
Read about it at
NCSA’s Advanced Visualization Lab
Birth of Planet Earth: Premiere
Birth of Planet Earth: Feature Story